Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Meeting


I went to the library today. Not very interesting you say?
The Wisner library? It has been cleaned up dramatically, the
lady, who was in practice to be a ceo for computer company,
has moved on---yeah, she was the one who thought
Dewey Decimal was a mystery writer from the 4O's.
The last I heard she was working at the Dollar General.
It was quiet in there-the windows were open and a slight breeze was blowing
magazine covers, the smell of wisteria was in the air.Afternoon light filtered through the trees and flooded in the windows onto the polished hardwood floors.
I turned the corner,and oh my, there was a man in black hunched
over a small table,caressing a book. I cleared my throat and he turned to look at me, the light from the
transom stain glass bounced off the thickness of his glasses.
A lock of dark hair drooped down on his forehead. Who was this familiar looking guy?

"I have been waiting here in the afternoon, for you, for weeks, Kate." He brushed that
hair back and stood up and offered me his hand."No need for introductions Kate, we have met before and spent so many hour togather ."
I'm standing there like a dumbass ,grinning from ear to ear. " Yeah, how cool is this SK?"
HE picked the book up off the table. I have been waiting to give you this. I was begining to
think you didn't want to read it.
"Yeah,right like I don't want to read your books. Well I have to admit Stephen, I am having a little
trouble reading DreamCatcher." I can't believe I told him that!!

I"t's okay Kate, I think I had a bit of a problem getting that one on the paper."

I accepted the bright red book.. " Nice Jacket design." I said.

I am such a bumbler, here stands Stephen King....
the Mr King and I'm babbling on about Jacket design.

"John FullbrookIII--Best cover I have had yet, most people don't even notice it,well maybe a couple
crazy ladies--oh Kate don't take exception to that, I didn't mean you were a crazy lady..."

Now he was making me laugh

"Well Kate, hate to run but have a book in process and I have been taking off every
Tuesday and Thursday to wait for you. I knew you would show up. Enjoy Lisey's Story."
She would want it that way.

He gave my shoulder a hug on the way past. Was that a hint of sulfur or possibly brimstone
I detected ? He was gone so fast...
I hugged the book up to me and headed home 'cause I knew I had to tell you this story...

Always,Kathie

( Well the book was sitting there on the new book rack.....but I thought you would like my version better)


No comments: